The following are some of the most important fixes that comes with Linux Kernel 3.11.3.
- rpc: fix huge kmalloc’s in gss-proxy
- skge: fix broken driver
- drm/radeon: fix panel scaling with eDP and LVDS bridges
- drm/radeon/dpm: fix fallback for empty UVD clocks
- tg3: Expand led off fix to include 5720
- drm/radeon: fix handling of variable sized arrays for router objects
- drm/radeon: fix resume on some rs4xx boards (v2)
- drm/radeon: fix init ordering for r600+
- drm/radeon: fix LCD record parsing
- drm/ttm: fix the tt_populated check in ttm_tt_destroy()
- drm/i915: fix wait_for_pending_flips vs gpu hang deadlock
- rt2800: fix wrong TX power compensation
Of course, we have not much idea of what it means but if you are one of those who do, you might get more information from the change log.
Installation of Kernel 3.11.3
The process lets you manually install the kernel on your Debian based system which includes Linux Mint and Ubuntu. The process is relatively fool-proof and we ourselves have tried it on two of our systems. However we make no promises in case you screw it up. Read it twice before starting.
1. Open up the terminal
You can launch terminal whichever way you prefer. However, we really like [Ctrl][T].
2. Enter the commands
Again, do so at your own risk.
Set the terminal to focus on your download folder
Download the latest kernel
Install the new kernel
chmod +x kernel-3.11.3
Set your system to use the kernel
sudo sh kernel-3.11.3
Yay! You’re done.
3. Restart your system
You can restart your computer whenever you’d like; not necessary to do it immediately. The changes will be apparent after a restart.
If you’d like to do it immediately, though, enter the following into the terminal.
Removing the kernel 3.11.3
In rare cases, the kernel update might be more of a nuisance than help. In such scenario, you can remove the kernel from your system.
Enter the following command in a terminal window.
sudo apt-get purge linux-image-3.11.3*
A restart is customary.
Do leave us feedback. We’d like to know if it has been of help.