Synaptic-Package-Manager is a graphical front-end to apt, the package management system in Ubuntu and Linux Mint. It combines the point-and-click simplicity of the graphical user interface with the power of the apt-get command line tool. You can install, remove, configure, or upgrade software packages, browse, sort and search the list of available software packages, manage repositories, or upgrade the whole system. You can queue up a number of actions before you execute them. Synaptic will inform you about dependencies (additional packages required by the software package you have chosen) as well as conflicts with other packages that are already installed on your system. The package manager enables the user to install, to upgrade or to remove software packages. To install a package a user must search for the program they want and mark it for installation. Changes are not applied instantly; the user must first mark all changes and then apply them.
- Install, remove, upgrade and downgrade single and multiple packages
- System-wide upgrade
- Package search utility
- Manage package repositories
- Find packages by name, description and several other attributes
- Select packages by status, section, name or a custom filter
- Sort packages by name, status, size or version
- Browse available online documentation related to a package
- Download the latest changelog of a package
- Lock packages to the current version
- Force the installation of a specific package version
- Undo/Redo of selections
- Built-in terminal emulator for the package manager
- Configure packages through the debconf system
- Xapian-based fast search
- Get screenshots from screenshots.debian.net
Installing with software-center
You can install it by searching in the software-center for **synaptic **and clicking on Synaptic Package Manager
Installing with CLI
Or, alternatively, open a terminal, and enter:
To launch Synaptic, choose
System > Administration > “Synaptic Package Manager”
Or if you are using the Unity interface, open the dash and search for synaptic.
if you have any problem with the above steps comment. If you liked this post share it.
I compiled a list of software and services that I use to improve my workflow, here is the link to the list.